The International Center for Climate Governance, a joint initiative of the Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM) and the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, is pleased to announce the winners of the fifth edition of the ICCG Climate Think Tank Rankings, the rankings of the most cutting-edge worldwide institutions conducting research and policy support in the field of climate change.
The results of the rankings, which refer to the year 2016, have been announced on June 29, 2017 by ICCG Director, Professor Carlo Carraro, at the 23rd Annual Conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE) in Athens, Greece.
This fifth edition assessed 244 think tanks, not strictly affiliated or integrated with Universities specialized in the research fields of climate change and climate policy, which figured in the ICCG Think Tank Map Observatory.
The ICCG think tank’s evaluation is based on a solid quantitative methodology and solid analytical data. Think tanks were assessed and classified on the basis of their performances in a set of 15 indicators, structured in three main pillars: Activities, Publications and Dissemination. Two rankings were established:
The Standardized Ranking, which measures the think tanks’ efficiency in per capita/researcher terms, by taking into account the number of researchers in each institution.
The Top 3 Think Tanks of the 2016 Standardized Ranking are:
The Absolute Ranking measures the think tanks’ performances regardless of their efficiency and hence size.
The Top 3 Think Tanks of the 2016 Absolute Ranking are:
*Only climate/environmental department considered for UCS
WINNERS AND SPECIAL MENTIONS
The winners of the “ICCG’s 2016 Climate Think Tank Awards” are:
On November 6 and 7, 2017, in conjunction with the beginning of the 23rd Conference of Parties (COP23) in Bonn, representatives of the winning think tanks will be invited to deliver two webinars, coordinated by Prof. Carraro, ICCG Director, on their climate change research activities.
Furthermore, the following special mentions were assigned on the basis of the rankings realized for the areas North America, Europe, Rest of the World:
2016 Top Climate Think Tanks in Europe – Standardized Ranking
1. Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change (MCC)
2. Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
3. Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3)
2016 Top Climate Think Tanks in the Rest of the World – Standardized Ranking
1. Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
2. Motu Economic and Public Policy Research*
3. Centre for Policy Research (CPR)*
2016 Top Climate Think Tanks in Europe – Absolute Ranking
1. Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ)
2. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
3. Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
2016 Top Climate Think Tanks in the Rest of the World – Absolute Ranking
1. Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
2. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
3. African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS)
* Only climate/environmental department considered
For more information on the rankings of the ICCG Think Tank Map Observatory, please write email@example.com, or call +39.(0)41 2700459.
Complete results of the ICCG Climate Think Tank Rankings are available here